Global immigration law solutions with personalized service
Foster is one of the largest immigration law firms in the U.S. and has the most board-certified attorneys in immigration and nationality law in Texas. Use our search feature below to help you find an attorney to help with your immigration needs.
Olsa Alikaj-CanoSenior Attorney
- Houston (Downtown)
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D. 2006)
- The University of Texas at El Paso (B.A. 2001 Cum Laude and University Honors Degree)
- Board Certified-Immigration and Nationality Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Admitted to practice before the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas
- Admitted to the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Admitted to the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- American Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- State Bar of Texas International Law Section
- The Albanian American Association of Greater Houston
- U.S. Fund for UNICEF Southwest Region
- 2016 AILA Annual Conference on Immigrating Law in Las Vegas, Nevada. Co-panelist on the “Fundamentals Boot Camp: Review of various agencies within the Department of Homeland Security; Critical distinctions between Visa vs. Status; Visa Waiver vs. Visa Exempt; Violation of Status vs. Out of Status, including Unlawful Presence and Overstays. (June 22-25, 2016).
- 2015 AILA Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico Chapter Fall Conference, in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Co-panelist on “The Evolution of the I-601A Provisional Waiver: Common Issues, RFE’s, Expansion Provisions.” (November 19-21, 2015).
- 2015 AILA Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico Chapter Spring Conference, in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Co-Chair of the Conference and Co-panelist on “Filing a Lozada Motion with the Service or EOIR.” (April 23-25, 2015)
- Olsa Alikaj-Cano. When Your Detained Client is a U.S. Citizen. AILA New Members Division E-News, Vol. 6, Issue 6. (AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 15012040, January 20, 2015).
- 2014 AILA Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico Chapter Fall Conference, held at Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Co-panelist on “Federal Litigation: Advanced Issues in Naturalization/Citizenship Cases.” (November 6-8, 2014).
- Olsa Alikaj-Cano. Representing Unaccompanied Children. AILA New Members Division E-News, Vol. 6, Issue 4. (AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 14092348, September 23, 2014).
- Olsa Alikaj-Cano. Seeking Termination vs. Administrative Closure, Tips on Proceedings Before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR) and Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). AILA New Members Division E-News, Vol. 6, Issue 3. (AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 14070344, July 7, 2014).
- The University of Texas Law School’s 37th Annual Immigration Law Conference on Immigration and Nationality Law. Co-panelist “Are you are you not a citizen? Acquired and Derived Citizenship.” (October 24, 2013).
- The State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, Immigration & Nationality Law Section CLE Program. Co-presenter “What Criminal Defense Lawyers Need to Know About Immigration Law.” (June 15, 2012).
- 2012 AILA Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico Chapter Spring Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Co-panelist with retired Immigration Judge William Zimmer and fellow immigration litigators on Best Practices at the Immigration Court. (April 12-14, 2012).
- Frequent Guest Lecturer at the South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, on issues of Family Immigration Law, Citizenship, and Removal Proceedings before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR).
- Texas Super Lawyer Rising Star: 2016, 2017
- Invited by the Mayor of Houston to join the Mayor’s Human Trafficking Task Force; Houston Area Council on Human Trafficking (HACHT)-Current Council Member
- Current AILA Texas Chapter New Members Division Liaison for Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma.
- Pro Bono Attorney for the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas, and the Tahirih Justice Center
- Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable William R. Burke, 189th Civil District Court, Houston Texas
- Mediator and Arbitrator for the Houston Better Business Bureau
- Immigration Clinic Student Attorney, University of Houston Law Center, under the direction of Professor and Immigration Judge Joseph Vail