James Larsen is an attorney at Foster LLP in our Austin office. He works primarily in employment-based immigration, including I-9 and E-Verify compliance.
A graduate of Drake University Law School with an undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University, James served as a student attorney in the Drake University Criminal Defense Clinic.
James is active in his community, providing training on anti-discrimination law, and representing employers facing complaints before the U.S. Department of Justice’s Immigrant and Employee Rights Section. He also presents nationally on employment eligibility verification procedures.
Prior to joining the firm and receiving his law degree, James volunteered with Justice for Our Neighbors Immigration Clinic, Hispanic Outreach and Legal Assistance Center.
James is licensed to practice in the State of Iowa and is an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Austin Bar Association and Iowa State Bar Association.
Why Did You Decide To Become An Immigration Attorney?
I learned Spanish as a child surrounded by hardworking migrant farmworkers and their families. This experience had a profound effect on my worldview and my career. I feel blessed to be an immigration attorney at Foster LLP, where I can make a difference daily in the lives of immigrants around the world. – James Larsen
- August, 2019 – Presented on best practices for employment eligibility verification to human resource professionals at The University of Houston Texas System in Austin, TX.
- August, 2019 – Presented on I-9 compliance and government site visits at the Capitol Hotel Human Resources Management Association in Austin, TX.
- July, 2018 – Presented on “Employment Authorization Hot Issues in 2019 and Beyond” at the Texas Association of School Personnel Administrators in Austin, TX.
- May, 2018 – Presented on Form I-9 developments in an era of ‘Buy American, Hire American’ at the 2018 Gulf Coast Symposium in Houston, TX.
- June, 2017 – Presented on “Hot Immigration-Related Issues in the Construction Industry” to the Central Texas Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
- February, 2017 – Presented on “E-Verify Revisited: Re-evaluating Conventional Wisdom With a Fresh Look at the Pros and Cons of E-Verify Participation” to the South Texas Human RESOURCES Symposium at the Norris Conference Center in San Antonio, TX.
- November, 2016 – Presented on “Understanding the Latest Guidance in Conducting an Internal Form I-9 Audit” in a live webcast presented by The Knowledge Group.