Global immigration law solutions with personalized service
Foster is one of the largest immigration law firms in the U.S. and has the most board-certified attorneys in immigration and nationality law in Texas. Use our search feature below to help you find an attorney to help with your immigration needs.
Robert F. LoughranPartner
- South Texas College of Law (J.D. 1992)
- Universidad de Madrid, Spain (1991)
- Universidad de Concepcion, Chile (1988-1989)
- University of Texas (B.A. 1988)
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified – Immigration and Nationality Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Appointed to the Texas State Bar Standing Committee on Laws Relating to Immigration and Nationality
- Appointed to the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s (AILA’s) National Committee on Business Immigration
- Appointed to the Texas Board of Legal Specialization Standards and Fitness Committee, 2008-Present
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Liaison to Vermont Service Center of Department of Homeland Security for H-1B issues, 2006-2008
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Liaison to San Antonio District Office of Department of Homeland Security, 2002-2006
- Vice Chair, State Bar of Texas Committee on Laws Relating to Immigration and Nationality, 2005-Present
- Member, State Bar of Texas Committee on Laws Relating to Immigration and Nationality, 2000-2002, 2004-Present
- Society for Human Resource Management Executive Relocation Council
- State Bar of Texas, International Law Section
- Austin Bar Association
- Admitted to practice in U.S. Court of Appeals (5th Circuit)
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- British American Business Association, 1996-Present
- Alliance of Business Immigration Lawyers
- Robert F. Loughran, “Viewpoint: New immigration policy likely to hurt foreign students and their would-be employers” Austin Business Journal. June 2018.
- Robert F. Loughran, “Immigration and President Donald Trump – The First 100 Days” Geneva Group International. May 2017.
- Robert F. Loughran, “The immigration impact of NAFTA withdrawal on mobility between Canada, the US and Mexico” Geneva Group International. March 2017.
- Robert F. Loughran, “U.S. and Global Residency by Investment” Commpro, May 3, 2016.
- Robert F. Loughran, “Relinquishment of U.S. citizenship; replaced with existing alternate nationality(ies)” Geneva Group International. April 2016.
- Robert F. Loughran, “Refugees are Not a Threat…They are a Staffing Opportunity” Mobility Magazine. February 2016.
- Robert F. Loughran, “How Can American Companies Staff Projects In Iraq in the Current Environment?” Bilateral US-Arab Chamber of Commerce (August 2015)
- Robert F. Loughran, “Learning from the History of Risk and Fraud in the EB-5 Regional Center Context.” Forming and Operating an EB-5 Regional Center: A Guide for Developers and Business Innovators. ILW 2014-2015 edition.
- Robert F. Loughran, “Terminations of EB-5 Centers.” Immigration Options for Investors & Entrepreneurs. AILA 3rd edition.
- Robert F. Loughran, “EB-5 Immigrant-Investor Programs Are Rife With Risks,” Texas Lawyer Magazine (February 3, 2014).
- Jan Pederson, Robert F. Loughan, and Sameer Khedekar, “Whither Thy Intracompany Transferee?,” AILA Mid-Year Conference (January 24, 2014).
- Robert F. Loughran, Catharine Yen, and Christian Triantaphyllis, “Recent Revocations and Enforcement May Change the EB-5 Landscape,” IIUSA (June 2013).
- Robert F. Loughran, “Checklist for Global Immigration Policy Formation,” HR Houston Newsletter (May 13, 2013).
- Robert F. Loughran, “Electronic Verification Systems, Including Form I-9 Software and E-Verify Best Practices” (served as the moderator for the ILW E-Verify and Form I-9 Compliance seminar, May 24, 2012).
- Robert F. Loughran and Paul Zambie, “Global Business Immigration Practice Guide,” LexisNexis, 2012 (chapter on citizenship).
- Robert F. Loughran, “Before and After the ICE Subpoena Arrives,” Texas Lawyer Magazine, February 6, 2012.
- Robert F. Loughran authored an article, with Martin J. McIntyre, General Counsel of Wood Group, in the July/August 2010 Docket of the Association of Corporate Counsel, “Conduct Form I-9 Audits and Protect the Attorney-Client Relationship” pg 79-87.
- Robert F. Loughran and Susan Kelly’s article: “Practical Implications Of The DHS Final Rule On Electronic Form I-9 Signatures And Storage,” was published in ILW.Com.
- Robert Loughran, Kristen Quan Hammill, Dorothee Mitchell, & Faye Kolly, “I-140 Book,” ILW, April 2010.
- Robert Loughran & Martin McIntyre, “I-9 Audits and the Attorney Client Privilege,” The Association of Corporate Counsel’s Docket Magazine, March 2010
- Robert Loughran & Dustin O’Quinn, “Know the Procedural Ins and Outs to Avoid Immigration Pitfalls,” Texas Lawyer Magazine, February 22, 2010.
- “Immigration compliance has to be a priority.” San Antonio Business Journal 23.11 (2009): 47. Print.
- Robert Loughran & Kevin Lashus, E-Verify bait & switch: Data mining isn’t what employers signed up for, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, Vol. 6, No. 5, 10/2009.
- Robert F. Loughran and Ryan C. Chargois. “Last Page – The Importance of Centralized Global Immigration Management.” Mobility Magazine. August 2009.
- Robert F. Loughran. “Immigration Liability Can Arise From Mergers and Acquisitions.” Texas Lawyer Magazine pg 23-24 Vol. 25 No 12, June 22, 2009
- May 11th 2009 Texas Lawyer – Contributor
- May 6th 2009 Texas Lawyer – Contributor
- Spring 2008 “February 28-29 2008″ – Nova Law Review “Fear the ICE Man: Lessons From the Swift Raids to Warm You Up – The New Government Perspective on Employer Sanctions.”
- 2007 – Immigration Law Practice “NON-IMMIGRANT CATEGORIES AND PROCEDURES”
- Nov/Dec 2006 Executive legal adviser “Employment Eligibility Verification In an Era of Increased Enforcement
- 2006 Renewed Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Enforcement: How Employers and HR Reps Should Protect Themselves – ILW
- Three Keys to Compliance: Verify, Reverify, Retain, Texas Lawyer Magazine, Volume 22, No. 3, March 2006
- The Impact of Visa Retrogression on Business Immigration, AHRMA Update on Us, November 2005
- Regarding Student Visas: Your District’s Role and Responsibilities, Part Two, Texas Lone Star, Volume 23, No. 2, March 2005
- 2005 Begins a New Era for U.S. Business Immigration, AHRMA Update on Us, March 2005
- Immigration Obligations: Your District’s Responsibilities Vary Little Regarding Foreign Students, Texas Lone Star, Vol. 23, No. 1, January/February 2005
- Summer of 2004: For Immigration Agencies, Procedural Changes Have Been in Season, AHRMA Update on Us, November 2004
- Corporate Viability in the Non-Immigrant Context, Texas AILA Chapter Fall Conference Handbook, 2004
- New Immigration Policies May Affect Foreign Nationals’ Summer Travel Plans, AHRMA Update on Us, July 2004
- Immigration through Investment: Treaty Traders, Treaty Investors, L-1 Intra-Company Transferees, and the EB-5 Immigrant Category, 2004 AILA National Conference Handbook, June 2004
- Adapting Immigration Strategies to Changing Economies and Evolving Political Events, 2004 Gulf Coast Symposium on Human Resources Issues Handbook, April 2004
- National Security Entry/Exit Registration System Special Registration Program Suspended, AHRMA Update On Us, January 2004
- Employers Needing Specialized Foreign Workers May Need to Act in ? or Go Without in ?, AHMRA Update On Us, November 2003
- Keeping Pace with the Immigration Security Measures Implemented by the Departments of State and Homeland Security, Area IV SHRM and HR Houston International Conference Handbook, November 6, 2003
- EB-5 Amendments Address ‘Stranded’ Investors, 2003 AILA Fall National Conference Handbook, September 19, 2003
- Identifying and Licensing ‘Deemed Exports’ When Employing Foreign Nationals, Texas Transnational Law Quarterly, Vol. 17, No. 2, August 2003
- Changes in the Practice of Immigration Law Under the Department of Homeland Security, Texas Lawyer Magazine, May 26, 2003
- Maintaining Nonimmigrant Status, University of Texas School of Law 26th Annual Conference on Immigration and Nationality Law, October 2002
- The Reality of Reliance: Immigration and Technology in the Age of Global Competition, Immigration Briefings, July 1993
- Maquiladoras, a Basic Primer, Currents International Law Journal, (Winter 1991-1992)
- Robert Loughran discussed green energy jobs and EB-5 visas in Austin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffPyqNuNpHs (Spanish)
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Austin Immigration Law “Lawyer of the Year,” 2014, 2018
- Selected by Texas Monthly as one of the Top Attorneys in Texas in Immigration Law, 2013 – Present
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019
- Selected to Best Attorneys in Texas, 2012 – Present
- Named Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly, 2004, 2005, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Named Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2015 – Present
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration, 2000 – Present
- Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders, Corporate Immigration 2019
- United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast Award for Professional Service, 1994
- Associated Catholic Charities Award for Professional Service, 2000
- Top Attorney in Texas as published in Texas Monthly October, 2018