Charles C. Foster is the chairman of Foster LLP and is based in our Houston office. Recognized as a Best Lawyer in America, Chambers USA Senior Statespeople, Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration Thought Leader, and Top 100 attorney in Houston, his practice focuses primarily on representing multinational companies and foreign investors regarding U.S. immigration law.
Charles received both his J.D. and undergraduate degree from The University of Texas at Austin. He lectures frequently before legal, academic, and professional organizations in Texas and throughout the United States and has published numerous articles on U.S. immigration law.
Charles has dedicated much of his career to the improvement of his community. He served as senior immigration policy advisor to President George W. Bush in the 2000 and 2004 Presidential campaigns and as an immigration policy advisor to Barack Obama in the 2008 campaign. He has testified before both U.S. Senate and House subcommittees on immigration matters. He is the founding Chairman of the Immigration & Nationality Law Section of the State Bar of Texas and has previously served as Chairman of the Governor’s Task Force on Immigration, the Greater Houston Partnership’s Economic Development Advisory Committee and World Trade Division, the American Bar Association’s Coordinating Committee on Immigration Law, the State Bar of Texas Committee on Laws Relating to Immigration and Nationality and is past National President of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), the Houston Forum and the Houston Club and Board member of Ripley / Baker.
He currently serves as Chairman of Interfaith Ministries of Greater Houston Advisory Board; Chairman of U.S.-China Partnerships; KIND Houston Advisory Board and Chairman of Americans for Immigration Reform; Executive Committee Member of the Greater Houston Partnership; Member of the Board of Directors of the Asia Society Texas Center; American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), the Houston Ballet, the Hobby Center for Public Policy, Barbara Bush’s Celebration of Reading, the George H. W. Bush Foundation for U.S.-China Relations, Invest in the USA (IIUSA), and the Holocaust Museum Houston.
In addition to his involvement in the community, Charles is the Honorary Consul-General for the Kingdom of Thailand and the Vice Dean of Houston’s Consular Corps. He has received several high Royal Decorations conferred by His Majesty, King Bhumibol Adulyadej as well as numerous awards including 1997 Houston International Service Award by the Houston Jaycees and Consular Corps, the 2000 Friend of China Award, the 2013 Houston Bar Association Leon Jaworski Award for community service and 1998 American Immigration Law Foundation Honorary Fellow. He has been named the nation’s “20 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys” in immigration by Human Resource Executive. His role as an immigration lawyer was featured in the 2010 film Mao’s Last Dancer.
Charles is Board Certified in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is licensed to practice in the State of Texas and is fluent in Spanish.
Why Did Your Decide To Become An Immigration Attorney?
After, I started my law career doing international legal work with a Wall Street law firm, and later a large firm in Houston, I discovered that immigration law was the one practice area of law that allowed me to interact daily with an international clientele with a well-defined body of law. – Charles Foster
- August, 2019 – Presented to Vietnamese investors at the EB5 seminar hosted by ImmiCa Immigration Consultant in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- August, 2019 – Featured alongside some of the nation’s experts on immigration reform in the Rational Middle Immigration Documentary Series exploring the complicated issue of immigration.
- August, 2019 – Presented on the topic of the border crisis at an event put on by The Rotary Club of Houston in Houston, TX.
- February, 2019 – Presented an overview of the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program and its latest developments to leading EB-5 regional centers, migration agencies and potential investors at the EB-5 & Uglobal Immigration Expo in Dubai, India.
- January, 2019 – Presented on the past, present, and future of U.S.-China relations at the Asia Society Texas Center in collaboration with the Greater Houston Partnership.
- January, 2019 – Presented on the proposed and pending immigration legislation at the Texas Bar CLE 2019 Immigration Law 101 Course in Houston, TX.
- December, 2018 – Delivered the keynote address at the immigration seminar “Struggling with your immigration status: Is Canada a solution?” hosted by the Aga Khan Economic Planning Board and Indo-American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Houston.
- June, 2018 – Moderated discussion panel on “Legislative Updates & Proposed Rulemaking Under the Trump Administration” at the State Bar of Texas Immigration & Nationality Section – State Bar Annual Meeting.
- June, 2018 – Interviewed with KHOU 11 News about what’s going on at the border of Mexico.
- April, 2018 – Presented at the 2018 China-America Real Estate Summit on the important economic relationship between China and the United States and the growing interest for foreign capital investment into the United States.
- 2010 – Featured in the book and film “Mao’s Last Dancer.”
- iF Magazine (September, 2019) “Major Immigration Law and EB-5 Regulation Changes Make Legal Immigration Even More Difficult”
- Houston Chronicle (August, 2018) “History Shows Immigration Policy Must be Tailored to Today’s Issues”
- Texas Monthly (August, 2018) “Parent Traps: The Solutions to Our Current Crisis on the Border”
- LUXCIOR Magazine (June, 2018), “Como Obtener Status Migratorio Permanente En Los Estados Unidos”
- Texas Lawyer (April, 2018), Immigration May Be on Hold in Congress, but the Trump Administration Continues to Restrict Legal Immigration
- Trib Talk (March, 2018), Sen. Cornyn should support immigration compromise
- Houston Chronicle (April, 2017) “Foster: With Houston a key Player, U.S.-China Relations Must Not Falter”
- Texas Lawyer (October, 2017) “What the Sanctuary Cities Legislation Means for All Texans”
- Houston Chronicle (October, 2017), “How long will Texas be the most anti-immigrant state in the nation?”
- Houston Lawyer Magazine (November, 2016), “Immigration Options for Entrepreneurs under U.S. Laws”
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration (2019)
- Chambers USA Senior Statespeople (2019)
- Best Lawyers in America (2019, 2020)
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration (2017-2018)
- Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders, Corporate Immigration (2019)
- Legal 500 Leading Lawyer (2013)
- Texas Super Lawyer (2003 – Present)
- Houston Bar Association Leon Jaworski Award for Community Service (2013)
- Human Resource Executive 20 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys
- Recipient of 4 Royal Decorations from His Majesty King Bhumiphol, King of Thailand
- 5th Annual Global Seven (G7) “Global Impact” Honoree by the Houston International Trade Development Council
- Institute of Human Relations Award from the Houston Chapter of the American Jewish Committee (2007)
- Distinguished Friend of China Inaugural Award (2000)
- American Immigration Law Foundation Honorary Fellow (1998)
- AILA Pro Bono Award (1996)
- International Service Award (presented by Houston Jaycees and Houston Consular Corps 1996)
- AILA Edith M. Lowenstein Award for Excellence in Advancing the Practice of Immigration Law (1992)