Robert Loughran is a partner at Foster LLP in our Austin office. Named “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin, TX by Best Lawyers in America and recently recognized as a Thought Leader in Corporate Immigration by Who’s Who Legal, his practice is concentrated in the areas of corporate immigration, emigration to third countries, and related international law.
Robert graduated from South Texas College of Law and received his undergraduate degree from The University of Texas at Austin.
Robert is an active member of the community, and is involved with more than fourteen different councils, committees and organizations including the British Business Association, the Texas Board of Legal Specialization Standards and Fitness Committee, and the Texas State Bar Standing Committee on Laws Relating to Immigration and Nationality. He also presents frequently before legal, professional, and academic organizations on the topics of U.S. and foreign work authorization, employer sanctions, maintenance of status, and changes in government proceedings.
Robert is Board Certified in Immigration & Nationality Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is licensed to practice in the State of Texas. Robert is also an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s (AILA’s) National Committee on Business Immigration and Austin Bar Association.
Why Did You Decide To Become An Immigration Attorney?
I come from a family of immigrants and travelers. At a young age I was enrolled in a middle school in Chile. Then again in college and law school I studied in Chile and Spain and has since been drawn to working with people from other countries and sharing their experiences. From my time living and studying abroad, I concluded that learning facts in a classroom is not enough, but rather true knowledge is achieved through the understanding of different experiences and points of view. I continually strive to have an international outlook and understand the perspectives of people from a variety of backgrounds. – Robert Loughran
- November, 2019 – Presented to U.S. employment-based immigration considerations and strategies to a group of investors and entrepreneurs from Mexico at a seminar hosted by the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.
- November, 2019 – Interviewed for an article entitled “Renouncing US citizenship: a comprehensive guide” in the November 2019 edition of Sovereign Man’s premium publication, “SovereignMan: Confidential.”
- May, 2019 – Presented an update on Nonimmigrant Visa Processing at U.S. Consulates Abroad at the Federal Bar Association Immigration Law Conference in Austin, TX.
- May, 2019 – Presented an employment based immigration update entitled “How Employment Based Immigration Practice Has Evolved under the Current Administration to Include Litigation” to the Immigration & Nationality Section at the State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting in Austin, TX.
- March, 2019 – Panelist “How Foreign Entrepreneurs Thrive in Trump’s America: It’s (Not So) Complicated” at South by Southwest in Austin, TX.
- June, 2018 – Presented “Adapting to New Procedures Under the ‘Buy American, Hire American’ Executive Order,” at the University of Texas System Benefits & Human Resources Conference.
- June, 2018 – Panelist for “Multinational Executives Managers and Specialists – No Longer Favored Categories,” at the Council for Global Immigration 2018 Symposium in Arlington, VA.
- November, 2017 – Presented “Alternatives to EB-5 – Because It’s Too Damn Hard!” at the ILW tele-seminar.
- November, 2017 – Presented on active and passive investment-based immigration options for foreign entrepreneurs at the 8th Annual Global Immigration Conference of the International Bar Association in London.
- October, 2017 – Presented at the Global Citizenship Seminar in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on the current U.S. administration’s impact on immigration strategies available to Middle Eastern investors interested in relocating to the United States.
- Austin Business Journal (August, 2018), “5 steps businesses can take as U.S. ramps up immigration audits”
- Austin Business Journal (June, 2018), “Viewpoint: New immigration policy likely to hurt foreign students and their would-be employers”
- Fox 7 News (January 25, 2018), “Robert Loughran on Fox 7 Good Day Austin”
- Geneva Group International (May, 2017), “Immigration and President Donald Trump – The First 100 Days”
- Geneva Group International (March, 2017), “The immigration impact of NAFTA withdrawal on mobility between Canada, the US and Mexico”
- Fox 7 News (March 20, 2017) “Robert Loughran Discusses President Trumps New Travel Plan”
- Fox 7 News (February 16, 2017) “Robert Loughran Discusses Executive Order, ICE Raids on Fox 7’s Good Day Austin”
- Fox 7 News (January 31, 2017) “Robert Loughran Discusses Trump’s Travel Ban on Good Day Austin”
- Fox 7 News (December 2, 2016) “Robert Loughran speaks to KTBC on Trump’s Immigration Plans”
- Fox 7 News (September 22, 2016) “Robert Loughran speaks to KVUE on proposed “Startup Visa”
- Commpro (May, 2016), “U.S. and Global Residency by Investment”
- Geneva Group International (April, 2016), “Relinquishment of U.S. citizenship; replaced with existing alternate nationality(ies)”
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration (2019)
- Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leader, Corporate Immigration (2019)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin, TX (2014, 2018, 2020)
- Best Lawyers in America (2008 – Present)
- Texas Super Lawyer (2004 – Present)
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Immigration (2000 – Present)
- United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast Award for Professional Service
- Associated Catholic Charities Award for Professional Service