Skip to Content

United Kingdom – Change in Documenting Right to Work – New eVisa Program Beginning in 2025

10 Apr

This change will affect all holders of UK Visas whose biometric residence permit (BRP) will expire on December 31, 2024. The expiry of your BRP card does not affect immigration status, however, the mechanism by which BRP holders will document their right to work in the UK will change beginning January 1, 2025.  

All physical documents like BRPs and vignette visa stickers are being replaced by eVisas.  

Please see below Guidance and contact if you have any questions. 

What do I need to do now? 
To create a UKVI account and access your eVisa you will need: 

  • Your date of birth 
  • Your BRP Number 
  • Your passport (if you do not have a BRP) 
  • Access to an email address and phone number 
  • Access to a smartphone 

You can create an account using the following link: You should not share this link with anyone else as it may not work for them. If you have been sent this email by someone other than the Home Office, you should not use the above link. You may not be able to create your account or see your eVisa yet.  

If you need help creating your UKVI account, you can get help at:

If you already have an eVisa along with your BRP, you do not need to create a new UKVI account. To check if you already have a UKVI account, you can go to

What is an eVisa? 

An eVisa is an electronic record of your immigration status. Updating your physical document to an eVisa does not affect your immigration status or the conditions of your permission to enter or stay in the UK. eVisas remove the need for physical documents, including BRPs. 

The benefits of eVisas include: 

  • They are secure and cannot be lost, stolen, or tampered with, unlike a physical document. 
  • They can be accessed anywhere and in real time, putting you in control of your own data. 
  • You can easily update your details or documentation to reflect any changes like a new passport issued by your home country, email, telephone number and postal address. 

What should I do when travelling overseas during 2024? 

During 2024, you should continue to carry your in-date BRP when travelling internationally until it expires.

From Summer 2024 onwards, if the passport or national identity document you are travelling with is linked to your UKVI account, airlines and other carriers will be able to digitally check that you have permission to come to the UK.  

You should update your UKVI account with any passport you wish to use for travel, to avoid unnecessary delays when travelling internationally. You can do this at

What if I have lost my BRP? 

If you have lost your BRP, or it has been stolen or damaged, please follow the latest guidance at

If you have become a British citizen since you were last issued with a BRP, you will have the right of abode in the UK. To prove your right to be in the UK, you can use a British citizen passport or a certificate of entitlement of right of abode.  

If you have a British passport, you do not need to do anything. If you have a certificate of entitlement you may need to take action in the future and further details will be provided in due course. If you want to apply for one of these, or if you still have your BRP, you can find more information on what you need to do here:

Foster will continue to monitor changes related to UK right to work documentation and requirements and will make additional updates available via our firm’s website at